12 lucky students will participate in Chef Peter Edey’s acclaimed culinary training programme over a period of 4 weeks.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS
- September 8, 2022
COST TO ENTER:
- Under the theme ‘Feed the Future’, we are excited to be giving two Barbadians between the ages of 16 and 21, the chance to pursue their culinary studies at the Jean and Norma Holder Institute with two full ride scholarships. The winners will be chosen via our Jr. Chef Cook Off Series, hosted by renowned trainer and chef Peter Edey. 12 lucky students will participate in Chef Peter Edey’s acclaimed culinary training programme over a period of 4 weeks before going head-to-head against the other students from the class. The best of the best will progress through the Quarterfinals, Semi-finals and Final rounds as they compete for the top spots. At the end, the top two students who make it to the end will each win 1 scholarship to the Jean and Norma Holder Institute to pursue their studies in culinary arts, plus loads of other exciting prizes!
During this phase, the 12 junior chefs will be engaged in theory and practical sessions which will be held on Saturdays for approximately four weeks, beginning on September 10, 2022 and concluding on October 1, 2022. Each session will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Theory sessions will focus on four main areas:
- Preparing for competition
- Preparing for television presentations
- Art of cooking – understanding food and adhering to the fundamentals of food preparation and cooking
- Safety and Sanitation
Practical sessions will focus on:
- Preparation and cooking of a variety of food items
- Preparation of sauces and gravies
- Plate Presentation
- Kitchen Competition procedures
For the competition phase, the Cook-off will be divided into three main rounds:
- The Quarter-Finals will take place on Saturday, October 8 and will be divided into two rounds, with 6 persons cooking in each round. In the Quarter-finals, participants will be required to prepare 1 plate of an entrée, which must include a meat or fish protein, a starch, vegetables and a sauce or gravy. At the end of the two rounds, the 4 persons with the lowest scores will be eliminated.
- The Semi-finals will be held on Saturday, October 15. There will be four rounds at this stage and participants will be given a choice of three ingredients, one of which must be chosen and used in their final entrée presentation. The individual with the highest score from each round will advance to finals.
- Sunday, October 16 will be the date of the Finals will be divided into two rounds and will feature a Mystery Basket component. Competitors in each round will be given a basket of mystery ingredients which must be used in the preparation of their entrée. The individuals with the highest score from each round will be declared the winners of the Junior Chefs’ Cook-off.